It is very tempting to sacrifice security for convenience. However, putting a spare house key in place where you can easily access it means that someone else can access it, too. And no matter how clever you think you are, we can guarantee someone else has done it … and an unscrupulous person has found it.
Without further ado, here are the very worst places to hide a spare house key:
- Under your welcome mat
- You might as well welcome the burglar in and have your precious belongings boxed up for his/her convenience.
- Under a flower pot near the front door.
- See above.
- Inside a poorly-placed fake rock
- Anyone with the determination to get into your home will have the determination to investigate an awkward rock.
- Your wallet
- If your wallet is stolen, the thief now has your home address (from your driver’s license) and a key to let him/herself in. This is a burglar’s dream come true – and a nightmare for you.
Here are the best places to hide a spare house key:
- With a neighbor you trust.
- Your neighbors are your best allies against burglars. Make sure that the key you give doesn’t have your address on it, just in case.
- In a magnetized box under your car
- Studies show that the most burglaries happen from 10am to 3pm, when you’re not home. So, take your spare key with you!
- Under the dog house
- Dogs (especially loud ones) are the bane of a burglar’s existence. The burglar will avoid your dog, and therefore your key.
JC Manhattan Locksmiths are the premier locksmiths for Manhattan, Junction City, and more Kansas communities. Your security and convenience are our highest priority. Call us today for 24-hour locksmith services as well as commercial and auto locksmith services.